I almost didn’t post this recipe since it is so similar to Anneliese’s Black Forest Birthday Cake.
I did think though that some may not know how to make Cherry Pie Filling from scratch so I decided to post it. It is nearly like Anneliese’s . . .be sure to check her picture . . .it is just so picture perfect. This Cherry Pie Filling is less sweet and has many more cherries than canned. I always have a can of Cherry Pie Filling for days that I’m in a hurry but when time allows, this really tastes wonderful.
* 1 Duncan Hines Swiss Chocolate Cake Mix or . .make this homemade dark chocolate cake
* 1 package instant chocolate pudding (2 cups milk size)
* 1 pint whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
* 1 recipe cherry pie filling
* shaved chocolate for garnish
1. Make the cake according to directions. . .bake in two 9 inch pans.
2. Make the pudding according to directions and refrigerate until the cake layers have cooled.
3. Make one recipe Cherry Pie Filling and allow to come to room temperature.
4. Whip the cream and the vanilla pudding mix together and refrigerate until assembly.
Cherry Pie Filling
* 3 cups frozen or fresh pitted Montmorency Pie Cherries (now. . finding them may prove to be the biggest problem. I had a supplier and they stopped selling them and now I will be planting my own tree. These cherries have a beautiful color and flavour. I find the easiest way to pit cherries is with the tip of a potato peeler.
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Put the frozen or fresh cherries in a microwave safe measuring cup. Heat on high for one minute. . stir and repeat until the cherries begin to release juice.
2. Add the combined cornstarch and sugar.
3. Stir well. Heat on high until it is thickend, the juices have cleared and it is bubbling.
4. Stir well every few minutes.
Assembling the cake
1. Cut both the cake layers in half. Put the first layer on a cake plate.
2. Spread half the pudding on the first layer.
3. Add the next layer of cake.
4. Put half the Cherry Pie Filling on this layer.
5. Add the third layer of cake. . and top with the second half of pudding.
6. Add the last layer of cake.
7. Spread the whipping cream all over the cake. . .reserving 1 cup or so to pipe around the edge.
8. Put the Cherry Pie Filling in the center.
9. Chill until ready to serve.