Excerpt printed with permission from Julie Van Rosendaal’s One Smart Cookie (Whitecap 2000).
Base & Topping
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup oats
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 14 tsp salt
* 1/3 cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
* 2 cups fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries, raspberries, halved strawberries, blackberries or a combination
* 1/2 cup raspberry or other berry jam
* 2 tsp all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt, breaking up the lumps of brown sugar. Add the melted butter and mix, blending with your fingertips if necessary until you have a crumbly mixture. Remove 1 cup and set aside.
3. Press the remaining crumbs evenly into an 8- x 8-inch pan sprayed with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, stir together the berries, jam and flour. Spread evenly over the base. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top
4. Bake for 30 – 35 minute, until bubbly around the edges. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
Cranberry-Orange Crumble Squares
Use fresh or frozen cranberries and orange marmalade in place of the berries and jam.