- Sweet Corn Coffeecake with Strawberries & Blackberries
Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal, any color (I used yellow cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lowfat, plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon (about 1 teaspoon, packed)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed and sliced in half vertically
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- Confectioners sugar, optional
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch springform cake pan or 8-inch square pan with PAM, or another non-stick baking spray. Dust pan with flour, then tap off excess.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a second bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Quickly add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring to combine. Scrape into the pan. Scatter the berries over the top and bake in the center of the oven until the cake is browned and beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 45 minutes.
Allow cake to cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove the rim of the springform pan, if applicable.